Downtown Girard Square

100 S Summit St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-8918
girardkansas.gov

Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. The statue of a deer and a marker on the southwest corner of the square commemorate the founding of the city on the site where Dr. Charles H. Strong, the founder of the city, killed a deer. Girard was also home to the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason” and the “Little Blue Books” of classic literature. Many of the downtown buildings have bronze plaques giving a brief history of the site.

History of the courthouse: https://www.crawfordcountykansas.org/courthouse-history.html

Founded in 1868, Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. Plaques throughout the area provide a brief history of the community. A statue of a deer commemorates where the city founder killed a deer and proclaimed that spot to be designated a new town. Mistreatment of the region’s coal mining workers led to Girard based publication of the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason”; and, long before Wikipedia, 300 to 500 million “Little Blue Books” were printed and delivered from here. These small, cheap pocketbooks brought classic literature and other common sense knowledge to the working class.